Wednesday 5 March 2008

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside!!!



So I finally got out of Aulnoye!! One of the American assistants in Valenciennes Michael, sent me a message on Facebook, last week, asking if I wanted to go to Boulogne sur Mer. I was so desperate to get out of Aulnoye that I said yes of course!! Even though it required me to get up at 7am (!!!) to get a 7:30 train to Lille, and it was then another hour on the train to Boulogne, (luckily we managed to get the fast train from Lille, even though we didn't technically have the right tickets (although we didn't know that at the time!!) and when the guard came we played the 'sorry we're English' card!! Worked for us!!!)


Anyway we got to Boulonge and had a walk round the old town, which was really pretty, looked inside the old church, which was on top of a big hill so we had a really nice view from the top!! the we walked back down the hill to the beach. It was really really windy so the beach was empty!! It was lovely and sandy and the tide was going out so it took us ages to walk to the sea!! And no we didn't go in, but we did touch the water, and yes it was cold!!! We walked around on the beach for a bit, and then we went to the National Sea Centre, which was brilliant! My favourite bit was seeing hundreds and hundreds of tropical fish, from under the water, the glass was soooo clean, it hardly looked like it was there at all!!! So the fish were swimming right in front of my face!!


We spent about 3 hours there, and then went to get something to eat at one of the little cafes on the beach. Then it was time to go home, unfortunately we couldn't get the fast train this time, so we had to go on the sloooooow train that took over 2 hours to get back to Lille! Luckily Michael taught me a really cool word game that he knew, so we were playing that the whole way back!!


It was a really great day, even if I did have to get up so early!!!



On the walk back down from the church we saw a big English flag, and these Morris Dancers!!! How weird, I've hardly ever seen them in England, but they were in a small town on the French coast!!!

No comments: