Sunday 9 March 2008

Blackout!!

So it's Friday night around 11pm and I'm on the phone talking to my Dad, suddenly there is a loud click and the phone cuts out, all the lights went out, the Internet switched off, and my laptop switched on to battery!! Ah, I thought, not good, OK, lets find my torch, (which I do actually keep in my drawer by my bed, always prepared me!!) Found torch, excellent, switch torch on, no batteries, not good, ok look for batteries, don't have any, so take batteries out of my camera instead. That's good I now have some light. It's probably a power cut I think. Look outside, street lights are all still on...ah ok perhaps its just in this building. Open door, expecting to see other heads popping out looking confused...no one, right ok, hit the hall light switch, Light comes on.... ah ok, that's not good means it's something just in my room. OK so lets have a look at the electricity box on the wall, try pressing the reset button...nothing, try flicking the switch... a loud click then nothing... so I phone my Dad back to see if he has any idea's...he doesn't! Try flicking a few more switched and pressing more buttons, still nothing. Decide that as it's nearly 11:30pm I might as well get ready for bed and go to sleep, resolving that if it's still not working in the morning, I can tell the teacher at the school, see if she has any ideas. (Plus being an actual French person she might have some idea of how to get on to EDF to sort it out!!)

So morning comes, I get up, try pressing the button one more time...it works!! All the lights come back on, phones back on, Internet starts loading up...everything is fine. OK I thought it must have just been a glitch, so I go to school, decided not to say anything, since it seems to be working fine. Get back, everything is fine, no problems at all during the day. Sorted I think...

Then I'm watching a DVD in bed, it gets to 11pm, and 'Click' everything goes off again!!! Like before I try pressing the button, and nothing happens, so in the end I watch the rest of the film on my laptop battery and when it ends, I go to sleep.

Then, I wake up this morning, press the button...and everything is fine!!! I really don't understand it! Annoyingly I can't go and tell the caretaker guy cos he is not here until tomorrow. I've tried looking online, and found a load of numbers, but have no idea which one I would need to call!!

The worst part is, that it is highly likely to happen again tonight, which means I need to have had a bath and washed and dried my hair before 11pm! I know I have been staying up fairly late (only going to sleep around 2-3am) and really should be going to bed earlier, but surely that should be my choice, not being forced to because I have no power!!!

Anyway hopefully I should be able to get it sorted tomorrow, I'll tell the caretaker, and if he can't sort it, then I can go to the office, and hopefully I should be able to ask the 'Brigette's' to phone EDF!!! (I've written out in French what has happened, but it's much easier telling someone face to face rather than over the phone...they might say something I don't understand!!!)

Anyone else had any experience of this? Or am I just completely weird!! I'll keep you updated!!

No comments: